Do you desire to write a book, but need plain advice as to how to do it? Maybe you are already an author struggling for success. Perhaps you need help with advertising your book. In this ground-breaking, strategic and practical resource, best-selling author and speaker Sheldon D. Newton removes the mysteries surrounding becoming successful as an author and shows you exactly how to do it. Here is a guide to writing a book of substance, which can impact the lives of others. Engaging and very user-friendly, Lessons I have Learned As an Author will give you keys to fulfilling your dream of becoming an author. Like a coach, he reveals the principles you need to get your book completed and probably quicker than you thought possible. Sheldon goes further by motivating you to take the steps towards getting your book done. Then he shows you how to get it published and market it effectively as well.
“Sheldon has done a remarkable job of sharing personal experiences, along with outlining a most comprehensive guide and blue-print on ‘how-to,’ get started in the literary world.” Lá Tanyha Boyd, Empowerment Coach, 3x’s Bestselling Author & Book Publicist
“This book is AMAZING. It is practical, thought-provoking and loaded with insight and information you need in order to become a successful author. This is a “CALL TO ACTION,” which will motivate and inspire you to reach for your goal of being a best-selling author.” Pam Perry, PR Coach, http://www.pamperrypr.com
“This book is an excellent tool for the first time writer or even experienced writers. It is full of helpful information, instruction and insight that will leave the reader with answers they can use to write, produce and market their works.” Dr. David Burrows, President & CEO One Rib Publications
Targeted Age Group:: Adult
What Inspired You to Write Your Book?
As an author of over ten books, with several best-sellers, I am constantly asked by others to help them write and publish their books. After being asked repeatedly and encouraged to do so by my Book Marketing Coach, I decided to write this book to help others get their books written and published. I am able to write a book within a week. I have done so. I know the frustration of having to write a book and then receive a rejection letter by a publisher. I have self-published and been published by a Traditional publisher. I want to help people realize that either way they can experience success as an author if they are willing to persevere and master procrastination. I have written in a manner that will give people step by step what they need to do to write a book of substance and then how to go about publishing and marketing it too. It is my prayer that many will use this resource to make their dream of being an author, and better yet, a best-selling author a reality. It is written in a simple manner so that it can be clearly understood. I wrote it to help aspiring authors and authors know what it takes to make it in this field.
Get Past Your Fear Of Failure
As a writer of more than ten books, I am still amazed at how much there is to learn about succeeding as an author.
In the first lesson I indicated that one should know what he or she is writing about. Know your subject. This will enable you to know your target audience. You have to know who you are writing to and for. There are literally billions of people on the planet, many of whom are facing various kinds of desires, needs, situations and circumstances. Your writings should be to address one or more of those needs or desires. So it is vital that you know what you are writing about and who you are writing to. This is important for three key reasons:
1. When you know your subject you will give people substance. Your writings will contain value and quality. People will receive some wisdom, some answer that they are looking for. They may receive some entertainment value, filled with principles which can make their lives better. Or they may receive some instruction or advice to deal with a personal issue or problem. Then again, they may receive answers to questions they may have been battling for some time. Your writings may have such an impact upon people that it blows your mind! Never underestimate the power of a book. Write on purpose. Write to impact lives.
2. When you know your subject, it will keep you focused. You will be able to stay on course with what you are writing about. This is important, because it will ensure that your writing has structure and stability. You won’t go all over the place.
3. When you know your subject it will give your writing credibility. When people realize that you know what you are speaking about and that they can, therefore, trust your words, it will enable you to stand out as an authority in the field you are writing about. It is not a good thing at all to have a book about a particular subject, with information which can be shot down easily because it is not built on truth or has very little – if any – factual substance. (That is of course, unless your book is fiction). So make sure you have done your homework and write from a standpoint of knowledge.
The next lesson I remember having to learn is vital if you are going to succeed as an author. You must: YOU MUST LEARN TO GET PAST YOUR FEAR OF FAILURE.
This was indeed a serious issue for me. As I said before, I wrote my first book concerning the importance of unity. What I did not say then was that, although this was my first book, I never released it. I finished writing it. And I even had a minister friend of mine do a “Foreword” for me for the book. But I never had it printed.
In retrospect, the book was really good. It had substance and would have been a source of encouragement for people. But I did not have it printed. I wished that I had saved it. I would surely have it published, at the very least as an e-book. Why didn’t I get it printed? I was afraid. Yes, afraid. What was I afraid of? Well, I was afraid of several things.
1. I was afraid that people may not buy the book.
This fear was not warranted, however. After all, I had no way of knowing if people would or would not buy the book. I should not be the one who chooses for people. People ought to be given the right to make up their own minds as to what books they should or should not buy. My job is to write it, get it printed or published, and then present it to them. But I did not do this because I allowed fear to stop me from moving forward. My question to you is, “Are you allowing fear to stop you from moving forward regarding your book?” If you are, it is time to get past yourself and to get past that fear. Some people may not buy your book. But, if you ask – and might I add, ask nicely – some people will. But you will never know if you do not take action and write your book, get it published and be daring enough to ask.
2. I was also afraid that people would criticize my book if they read it.
I was scared that they would not find it interesting. And granted, some people may have negative things to say in regard to what you write. However, if you have followed step one – making sure you have written something of substance, worth and value – there will be others who will benefit greatly from your work. When I finally started getting my books out there, it was and still is amazing how many people share with me concerning the impact the books had and continue to have upon them. This has transpired from my first published book, Diligence to The Things of God. And it continues. Of course, I have had some criticisms. But I have had more encouragement from the testimonies of those who found my books helpful. You never know whose life you can touch in a positive and powerful way through your book. So step up to the plate, push past that fear and get your book out there!
In the next chapter I will share with you a third kind of fear that I experienced as I aspired to be a writer, and it will be something of great interest to you. I can promise that it may be the number one reason why many have never even finished writing their book. I am hoping that sharing my experiences with you will inspire and motivate you to rise up and realize your dream of being a published author, making a difference in the lives of others.
Action Steps: TAKE ACTION NOW
1. Ask yourself why you have not written your book yet or why have you not published your book yet. Are you afraid of something? What is it? Be honest with yourself. Are you willing to walk past your fear?
2. Realize you can write your book and publish it regardless of those feelings of fear. Do not listen to those feelings. Write your book anyway. Publish it anyway. “But suppose nobody wants to read my book,” you may ask? Granted, some people may not. But mark my words, some will. You will never know if you never try. So make up your mind to try and get your book done.
About the Author:
Sheldon D. Newton is a best-selling author, having written over ten books and counting. His books range from Christian Discipleship to Motivational Principles, all of which are geared to helping people find purpose and fulfillment in life. He is a noted speaker, Bible Teacher and Pastor and has been sharing Biblical Principles of true success and victory for over thirty years, travelling both locally and abroad. He believes that every person born into this world has worth and value. His mission is to share with others keys which will enable them to discover their true purpose, overcome life’s challenges and live victoriously. As an Ezine Articles Expert Writer, he has written over two hundred articles on various issues of life. Sheldon is the senior pastor of Jesus Christ Centered Ministries International, located in Nassau, Bahamas. Some of his life-transforming books include: True Spirituality; My Name is Jealous; Humility & the Honor of God; The Positive Power of Biblical Affirmations and Diligence, the Master Key To Achieving Your Dreams. Sheldon lives in Nassau, with his wife and two children. Visit his website at: www.sheldondnewton.org
Links to Purchase Print Books
Link to Buy Lessons I Learned As An Author Print Edition at Amazon
Link to Lessons I Learned As An Author Print book for sale via at CreateSpace
Links to Purchase eBooks
Link To Buy Lessons I Learned As An Author On Amazon
Have you read this book? Tell us what you thought!